cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Schultz, Gary - COMM" <GSchu...@commerce.state.wi.us>
Subject RE: Memory leaks in Cocoon?
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:52:51 GMT
Our memory usage went down a good amount once we started using the
non-caching pipeline for downloadable files such as PDF, Word and Excel
files, and once I stopped using the persistent store (commented out in the
cocoon.xconf file). We are still caching images, xml and xsl files. After I
complete the configuration so we use non-caching pipeline for all PDF, Word
and Excel files, I would expect memory usage to decrease more. Our memory
usage is normally in the range of 50 to 75 MB.

Gary T. Schultz
Web Technical Administrator / GIS Coordinator
Wisconsin Department of Commerce
6th Floor
P.O. Box 7970
Madison, WI
1-608-266-1283

-----Original Message-----
From: Perez Carmona, David [mailto:DPerezCar@fcc.es]
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 5:00 AM
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: RE: Memory leaks in Cocoon?

Thanx Alex and Antonio,

The memory consumption restores somewhat when I issue a garbage collection
(Runtime.getRuntime().gc()), but still losing memory with this test
pipeline:

	- A file generator reading a big file (10 Mb)
	- A simple XSLT transform using Xalan
	- An text serializer.

Here is the used memory pattern:

Initial:                19 Mb
After test pipeline:   110 Mb
After gc:               45 Mb
After test pipeline:   110 Mb
After gc:               45 Mb
After test pipeline:   132 Mb
After gc:               69 Mb
After test pipeline:   157 Mb
After gc:               94 Mb
After test pipeline:   178 Mb
After gc:              118 Mb

After a few more tests, the test pipeline stops working, an OutOfMemoryError
happens.

Maximum memory that Java can use: 198 Mb

I use the non-caching pipeline.