cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: flowscript and infinite loops
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:11:15 GMT
Samuel Tribehou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know this is a silly question, but..
> I'd like to know what happens exactly in memory with this type of flow :
>
> flowscript_func ()
> {
>      while (true)
>     {
>        cocoon.sendPageAndWait("/example");
>
>       // do things with user input
>     }
> }
>
> Of course the purpose is  to load the page, have the user
> enter data and do things with it, then reload the updated page, etc...
>
> But what happens when the user clicks a link which leads him to another form
> (and another flowscript loop) ? Will the previous loop continue to wait  for
> sendPageAndWait() to return and leak some memory ?

Remember, the execution is halted at sendPageAndWait(), so nothing is
really "running" at that point.  Only when <map:call continuation=""/>
  is called, will the execution resume.

If the user clicks on a different link and "loses" the continuation
ID, the continuation will still be around (i.e. it can be restarted),
until it expires and is cleaned up after a while by the
ContinuationsManager.

If you managed to keep track of the continuation IDs, the user could
even switch back and forth between the loops.

Regards,

Tony