cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [CForm] javascript validation doesn't work?
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 08:13:17 GMT
On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 23:08, Phil Snowdon wrote:
> Take this snippet from the samples.  Supposedly if the price is
> less than one, then it will show a validation error.  It
> doesn't.
>
>  <fd:validation>
>     <!-- This demonstrates form level validation -->
>     <fd:javascript>
>       var success = true;
>       var price = widget.lookupWidget("dieselprice");
>       if (price.value &lt; 1) {
>           price.setValidationError(new
> Packages.org.apache.cocoon.forms.validation.ValidationError("It
> can not be that low!", false));
>           success = false;
>       }
>
>       // Must return true/false
>       return success;
>     </fd:javascript>
>   </fd:validation>

Where do you place that <fd:validation> element, thus as child of what
other element?

IIRC in the Cocoon 2.1.5 release widget validators belonging to
container widgets (such as a repeater or the form itself) are only
executed if all children are validated successfully. In current SVN they
are however always executed.

> even simpler
>
>   <fd:validation>
>     <fd:javascript>
>       return false;
>     </fd:javascript>
>   </fd:validation>

Note that you shouldn't do this, a validator returning false should
always set a validation error somewhere.

> Which should always generate a validation error doesn't seems to
> either.
>
> Is this a known issue?  There's a comment in the Form.js code
>     // FIXME: Remove check for removed syntax later.
>     if (this.validator != undefined) {
>         throw "Forms do not support custom javascript validators
> anymore. Declare your validators in the form model file.";
>     }
>
> Does this mean that we can't use javascript validadtors anymore.
>  What does it mean by declaring your validators in the form model
> file?

No no, this has nothing to do with the validators in the form model
file.