cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Olivier Billard <obill...@jouve.fr>
Subject Re: Linking SQL Transformer and XSL Transformer
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:18:29 GMT
Hi Derek,

Derek Hohls wrote:

> Olivier
>
> I still disagree - the SQLtransfomer is a much
> better alternative than XSP-ESQL for simple
> cases; its possible that there are very complex
> cases that may not be handled but, even then,
> the JXTemplateGenerator will give you a lot
> of additional flexbility to solving such problems.

I just began using the JXTemplateGenerator, and I don't see all features
from Java, that let you dynamically generate a query from this sort of
data : avalon components, LDAP, and so on...

I agree session and request infos are accessible from JX, but it's
limitating for me. But again, I may miss something.

> PS I say this as someone who has used XSP-ESQL
> extensively in the past and am now trying to "convert"
> myself, as well!

I agree that in cases other than simple lists display, XSP and ESQL can
easily be substituate by avalon data-components and flowscript (that's
what I'm doing), and separates the business part and the presentation
part, but a feature as flexible and powerfull as XSP-ESQL for simple
result lists is in my humble opinion missing for the moment.

> PPS From code Matt has sent me, I think this is
> more an XSLT problem, than a Cocoon problem.

I think so : maybe a namespace problem.
But the way of thinking is a little bit tricky : using a list of
requests as a source of a pipe and transforming it form generating the
"good" request is very stange.
I would prefer using an other way to get the good request (avalon +
input-module for example) feeding the source of the pipeline. Maybe
JXTemplate can use input-modules ? Or access the info via an
input-module and pass it as a sitemap parameter seems better for me.

--
Olivier