cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <g...@hard-bop.com>
Subject Re: Singleton component
Date Sat, 17 Jul 2004 22:57:29 GMT

On Jul 17, 2004, at 4:06 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> At 7/17/2004  11:44 AM, you wrote:
>

>>> Something else. Basically, it's a workflow manager. Once a job is
>>> submitted a sequence of events need to occur before the job is
>>> accepted and completed. The sequence of events may complete in
>>> seconds or they may take several days to complete. Most of the time,
>>> they will complete in seconds. Rather then read the job from the
>>> database and create a new instance of the job several times in this
>>> short span they are stored in a Map. The component needs access to a
>>> SourceResolver and several DataSources. It needs to be available to
>>> several Poolable components.
>>
>> i'm unclear about <component> and <component-instance> too :)
>> The most meaningful difference i noticed is the declaration of the
>> 'role', that would help you to lookup
>> your component instance from the component/service manager.
>> so, i'm waiting an explanation too :)
>>
>> regards
>

> <component> and <component-instance> are avalon constructs.
> Basically, a component is something you would look up using the
> ServiceManager via its role.  Sometimes the component represents a
> collection of objects which are all of the same type, such as input
> modules, source resolvers, etc.  In this case, the component is
> something that just manages the collection, like
> ExtendedComponentSelector.  If you look at the code that access a
> component-instance you will see that it looks for a role name with the
> word "Selector" appended to it. Then the selector will be called with
> the key to the desired instance (i.e - the specific input module,
> etc.).
>
> If you take a look at cocoon.roles you will notice that these are
> really just short-hand ways of specifying a component.  For example,
> in cocoon.roles there is a definition for source-factories that names
> ExtendedSourceFactorySelector as its implementing class and with a
> name of org.apache.excalibur.source.SourceFactorySelector.  This means
> that in cocoon.xconf, instead of declaring
>
> <component
> class="org.apache.cocoon.components.ExtendedSourceFactorySelector
> role="org.apache.excalibur.source.SourceFactorySelector>
>
> we can just put
>
> <source-factories>
>
> Hope this clears it up a little bit.

Thanks, it does. But just to make sure... A Component marked as
ThreadSafe and declared with <component> in cocoon.xconf will be a
singleton. If I had several implementations of an interface, I could
define a role in cocoon.roles, implement a selector, and using that
role declare the implementations in cocoon.xconf using
<component-instance>.

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen@hard-bop.com