cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Philip.Fenn...@empolis.com
Subject RE: XML schema and XForms
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2004 09:19:57 GMT
Nina,

> 2. Has anybody used XSLT in Cocoon to transform a XML schema
> to an XForms form or XHTML/WML form and care to share their
> experiences?

I have played around with XForms, XML Schema, XSLT and (X)HTML forms and
have the following comments:

It is relatively straight forward to map XForms form controls to HTML form
controls and XSLT does that nicely and it is also possible to make use of
the schema during the transformation process (acquire it using the
document() function) to insert specific schema related data. One example
would be where an enumeration is designed for a data type and you need this
to be rendered in a drop-down menu in the form.

If you want to take things a stage further, you can embedded useful schema
data in the resulting webpage that can be picked-up with client-side
scripting. A good example of this is specifying restrictions in you data
types (in the schema), that can be used by client-side scripts to validate
the form data at either input time or on submission of the form. Value
ranges or restrictions using Regular Expressions can both be processed by
JavaScript.

Hope you find this interesting/useful.

Regards

Phil Fennell