cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Norman Barker <norm...@comsine.co.uk>
Subject OGC WMS + WFS Geographic Generators
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:14:53 GMT
Hi,

after my posting a couple of weeks back, it seems I will have to write
the Web Map Server and Web Feature
Server Generators :-) , should be quite a nice challenge.

I guess it would be best to make these as generic as possible for future
use.

The OGC specs allow either HTTP Key Value Pair requests, or XML posted
to the WFS and WMS servers (see
http://www.opengis.org).

The basic flow is
1) User requests a capabilities XML document from the WFS or WMS
2) User makes a request to the WFS or WMS and the results is returned
     which is either GML (xml)  (in the case of the WFS), or an image
in the case of a WMS

I guess we will want the generator to start the pipeline as a middle
stage on the return from the WFS or WMS to the user,
so that this data can be styled to SVG, or  html, or in my case a
different version of XML for the user.

Am I correct to think that the best way to do this would be just to
write a class that extends AbstractGenerator?

Any ideas on this, how to make it generic for use by everyone, how to
handle the many possible requests that could
be made through the capabilities XML returned by the WFS and WMS, and
how to handle exceptions from the
WMS and WFS would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Norman Barker