cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Lionel Crine <cr...@4dconcept.fr>
Subject Re: best place to store information : another question
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2004 07:58:51 GMT
Steve,

I think that your solution is a little bit too much. I'm not keen on
modifying dynamically the sitemap.

Moreover, these parameters are necessary to my custom components. I
don't want to pass the parameters each times I call them in the sitemap.
But, maybe I can access the global sitemap parameters from Java.

I think I'll look into the sessiontransformer.

by now, I collected the information from a form and store them into the
session object. But I have some trouble when people connect to the
application with different profile.

Lionel

Steve Schwarz wrote:

> Lionel,
>
> You could come up with a script that collected input data on the command
> line from the installing client and have it use XSL to update the
> sitemap for the user. I've done that for XML config files on other
> projects and folks seem to like it. They don't have to hunt through the
> XML and you can do any sanity checking you feel is necessary. But maybe
> that is overkill for your needs.
>
> If you don't need the config data to get Cocoon running...then you could
> collect the data via a form on your initial page and have Cocoon to edit
> it's own sitemap using SourceWritingTransformer  :^)
>
> Just an idea,
> Steve
>

>> Thanks, I thought about it.
>>
>> It would be a solution. My problem is that I don't know if my client
>> would be familiar by changing the parameters in the sitemap.
>>

>> Steve Schwarz wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Lionel
>>>
>>> If I understand correctly, I think you can put them in the sitemap
>>> global-variables section. Then the variable assignments are copied
>>> along with the sitemap at installation. From the default sitemap:
>>>    <global-variables>
>>>       <!--+
>>>           | Define global parameters here:
>>>           |   <skin>my_skin</skin>
>>>           |   ...
>>>           | You can access them by {global:*name*}, e.g. {global:skin}.
>>>           | These values are inherited into sub-sitemaps and can
>>>           | be extended there.
>>>           +-->
>>>    </global-variables>
>>>
>>> You can then access the global variables via the global input module.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>> Steve

Lionel CRINE
Ingénieur Systèmes documentaires
Société : 4DConcept
22 rue Etienne de Jouy 78353 JOUY EN JOSAS
Tel : 01.34.58.70.70 Fax : 01.39.46.06.90