cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: New wiki - impressions?
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2004 14:16:12 GMT
Derek Hohls wrote:

>Upayavira
>
>So are you saying "tough, we have to fit into some
>Apache 'corporate image' ?!"... ah, I already miss the
>wild free days of the "Independant Cocoon Wiki" -
>maybe a small group of rebels will start a new, hidden
>site somewhere on the far side of the world...

Not at all. We had a situation where we had a JSPWiki that was Cocoon's
only. The result of that was, whilst it worked, we didn't have people
who were in a position to enhance it. To get access to it, Steven had to
give specific access to his own server (which he has generously done for
some of us).

Now, we are sharing the job of maintaining our wiki with the entire
Apache community, which will lead to a far greater range of people able
to assist. Also, as the wiki is hosted on Apache hardware, potentially
all Apache/Cocoon committers can become involved in its maintenance.
Lastly, any changes and enhancements that we make will be available to
the whole of Apache (for example the 'must sign in to post anti-spam'
approach).

So, I hope that this will be a change in direction, but there's no
reason why we can't innovate, and lead the whole Apache community in
terms of what can be done with a wiki site. As David has said, we can do
our own custom configurations on our wiki.

Regards, Upayavira