cocoon-users mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Printing pages from Cocoon-like sites
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:18:45 GMT
Derek Hohls wrote:
> I assume that a number of the sites that have
> a Cocoon "look and feel" are created the same
> way (- Forrest?).  It has always "bugged" me
> that, when visiting these sites, I cannot just click
> on the print button on my browser and create a
> well-laid out page directly on my printer.
>
> I know there is a mechanism to create "printable
> versions" of pages, using PDF.  Despite the fact
> that PDF is fairly widely used, not everyone buys
> in to it, and it is not always the most appropriate.
> I do feel that Cocoon, whose major use has been
> as a web-publishing framework, should allow for
> better printing facilities. In practice, its not hard to
> achieve, if we ditch the clunky use of tables for the
> layout and move to a stylesheet-based approach.
>
> I was wondering if there were any plans to do
> this in the near future?
>
> (yes, I know this is open-source and stuff only
> happens if someone volunteers... would this be
> an appropriate area that needs some time invested?)

At Apache Forrest we have been investing a lot of
effort in this. We have refined the "table-based"
layout quite a bit. Remember that we had to remain
with that for older web browsers.

However we have always wanted to get away from tables
as much as possible. Recently we have a brand new skin
that has no tables at all. Not yet in production, but
it is close now.

--
David Crossley