cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <dho...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: CForms and Database - 5 Degrees of Separation?
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:36:05 GMT
Ugo

Some good points.  Bear in mind, however that your
revised 1,2,3 are probably only feasible if your DB amin
and web developer are one and the same.  I am not sure
my db admin would take kindly to me updating her data-
bases with my tool!

As for using XDoclet; I 've seen references to this but,
frankly, was hoping to avoid having to learn "yet another
technology" to address what should be a simple problem.
(Java, forms, Hibernate... the list goes on!)  -I will
bear this in mind for future.

I agree that "some more automation is required"

Cheers
Derek

>>> u.cei@cbim.it 06/14/04 2:18 PM >>>
Derek Hohls wrote:
> The following steps now seem to be required:
>
> 1. Update the database - pretty straightforward, assuming that
> the new piece of data is just a new attribute on an existing
> table...
>
> 2. Update the TableBean representing where that data is stored,
>
> 3. Update the persistence layer configuration file - in the
> case of Hibernate, this would be a Table.hbm.xml file,

1. Update the TableBean.java file.

2. Automatically generate the mapping file (Table.hbm.xml) from XDcoclet

tags included in TableBean.java comments.

3. Update the database using Hibernate's tools.

> 4. Update the form binding file to link the data to the bean
> (all the fb: widgets),
>
> 5. Update the form definition file (the fd: widgets), and
>
> 6. Update the form layout template file (the ft: widgets).
>
> Whew!  All very nice and cleanly separated... but are they?
> This seems like a lot of work for what is, essentially, a
> very simple change.  Forget one step, or make a single typo
> and the entire cascade fails...
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not this process
> could be simplified or, perhaps automated?   Or whether some
> type of "meta config file" could be be created, where all the
> data is stored, and from which the needed files could readily
> be generated?

I think that some more automation is required. Generating and keeping
up-to-date CForms artifacts from Java sources or some other kind of
model shouldn't be too hard, at least for simple cases. The scenario
calls out for some "smart" tool to carry out most of the gruntwork and
let the developers concentrate on the business logic aspects.

	Ugo

believed to be clean.