cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Integrating Cocoon and Hibernate - basic problem
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:47:01 GMT
Luca Morandini wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> See:
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
>

> Thanks fo the link, but it referes to GPL, not LGPL.

True.

> See what FSF has to say about LGPL:
> <<GNU Lesser General Public License, or GNU LGPL for short.
> This is a free software license, but not a strong copyleft license,
> because it permits linking with non-free modules.>>
> (http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html)
>
> But, as Sylvain said:
> <<This looks very cool, but... Hibernate is LGPL, and as such cannot go
> into an Apache repository :-(>>
> (http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2003-April/012386.html)
>

> I think it's about time for ASF to change its policy towards LGPL.

And I would love to see that resolved. But it needs legal clout and an
engagement with FSF to clarify the details, e.g. what exactly does
'linking' mean in the context of Java? Until that has been done - i.e.
someone takes on managing that negotiation and clarification, all that
can be done really is to assume that the licence is incompatible and
that we cannot have LGPL stuff in Apache repositories, however
disappointing that may be.

I'm sure Sylvain would be delighted to accept LGPL code into Cocoon were
that issue cleared up satisfactorily.

Just my uneducated thoughts.

Regards, Upayavira