cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Cocoon hosting config hints
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2004 12:29:14 GMT
adrian.dimulescu@free.fr wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Run them with Apache in front (see
>> wiki.cocoondev.org?Page=ApacheModProxy). With Apache virtual hosting,
>> you can do clever stuff to proxy requests to the correct Cocoon
>> instance.
>>
>> We have at any one time two or three versions of our webapp running,
>> each in their own Cocoon webapp, with mod_proxy and mod_rewrite
>> switching between different versions for different clients.
>>
>> If you need to handle lots of sites, and want to use the same Cocoon,
>> check out the host selector.
>

> Hello,
>
> I am equally wondered by the cool possibilities of proxying, yet there
> remains the great problem of cookies being dependant on webapp path.
>
> How do you get around that one ?

Use local domain names. It is a hack, but it works.

So, in my /etc/hosts I have:
www.v1.1.mysite.com
www.v1.2.mysite.com
all pointing to the local server.
Then, Jetty mounts those domain names.

So long as you remember to do ProxyPassReverse to handle redirects, you
can have multiple webapps, mounted on different (internal only) domain
names, with no session cookie trouble. Works a treat.

Actually, I have:
www.host1.v1.1.mysite.com
www.host2.v1.1.mysite.com
www.host1.v1.2.mysite.com
www.host2.v1.2.mysite.com
etc, etc. (Then add wap. and pda. you get a lot of options), so that
there's load balancing going on.

I've got a script that generates an httpd.conf file (included into
httpd.conf itself), jetty config files, /etc/hosts files, and a number
of rewriteMap files.

Clever stuff really.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Upayavira