cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.1.5 - javaflow problem (6.2)
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 09:24:31 GMT
Enrico Migliore wrote:

> Stephan Michels wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 May 2004, Enrico Migliore wrote:
>>

>>> Dear Stephan
>>>
>>> I may have spot where the problem is. In the following file:
>>>
>>>               .\cocoon-2.1.5\src\blocks\javaflow\TODO.txt
>>>
>>> I found the following script:

>>> What is left to do?
>>> -------------------
>>> - allow the ability to reload the java flow classes using for
>>> example the
>>>   CompilingClassLoader.

>>> Does that mean that, at the moment, it's not possible to reload a class
>>> at runtime?
>>>

>> Yes, that's true. But this depends on the reloading behaviour of the
>> servlet classloader. If a class changed and the servlet container
>> reload the whole servlet then there won't be a problem. But
>> if it doesn't reload the servlet then the ContinuationClassloader will
>> stick to the previous class.
>>
>> I think that your problem can be solved, but I never tested the
>> reloading
>> behaviour of jetty, because I don't know how to activate it.
>>
>> Stephan
>>

> Dear Stephan,
>
> I'm investingating about how to instruct Jetty to reload a servlet, and
> eventually I will post to the mailing list the result, in case of
> success.
>
> I got just one dubt:  if I reload the Cocoon servlet at each client's
> request,
> all new classes' instances will forget completely their previous history:
> continuations, the value of all instance variables...am I right?

Wow. You really must not reload the cocoon servlet at each request. The
servlet does a lot of things like initialising loads of avalon objects,
etc. If you did that at every request, you can expect your servlet
container to die very quickly.

Jetty can reload a class if you compile it while at a breakpoint, I use
that regularly. But to have it reload when a class has changed would be
really neat.

Regards, Upayavira