cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use Cocoon as a rapid development tool??
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:53:47 GMT
Il giorno 25/giu/04, alle 14:59, Derek Hohls ha scritto:

> So.. back to the first question - how to easily add in
> a new "component"  (terminology?) such as the new
> Hibernate/Spring petstore without "messing" the
> existing environment?

Well, I still don't understand why, but if you really must:

Grab a brand new tar.gz of Cocoon 2.1.5 (or a snapshot of CVS HEAD) and
uncompress it.
Grab the spring.zip from the Wiki page and unzip it in src/blocks.
Edit the gump.xml file as explained.
Build
Copy the cocoon-spring-block.jar file plus the necessary libs to your
running webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory.
Copy the samples subdir to your webapp and mount its sitemap from your
main sitemap.
Reload the cocoon webapp context, if your container allows it.

Now that I have told you *how* to do it, let me explain *why* it makes
no sense at all. The "Spring Petstore" block is just a sample. It
demonstrates a set of best practices (or at least what I think are
best). It offers NO services or functionalities to other blocks. It is
NOT geared towards reuse.

So you gain really nothing from deploying it into a running
application. You should look at its source and run it in a sandbox
environment to see how it behaves. To do that, all you need is a JDK, a
copy of Cocoon with the bundled Jetty container and follow the three
simple steps that are outlined in the Wiki page. Anything else is just
a waste of time.

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/