cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Terry Brick <terry_brick2...@yahoo.com>
Subject Newbie: How to capture XML from custom class?
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2004 16:10:15 GMT
Hello,
I've just started using Cocoon (2.1) and so far I'm loving it.  The problem is that probably
less
than 50% of my XML will be static.  The rest will be dynamic generated from SQL interaction,
etc.
I want to do all (or most) of my business logic in regular ol' Java classes and just spit
out the
XML in the right places.  Ideally, I would like something like this...
<doc>
  <title>My Title</title>
  <content>
    <mynamespace:generate class="com.mycompany.businessobject1"/>
  </content>
</doc>

Where the businessobject1.toString() representation is used to fill in that section with XML
and
where businessobject1 has access to the servlet context, request parameters, etc.
Anyway, I don't require it to be exactly as shown above, I'm just trying to illustrate my
basic
requirements and am wondering what's the right approach in Cocoon.
It's probably obvious to existing users in the doc, but I'm just starting out and am having
a hard
time getting some aspects of Cocoon.  Do I simply need to write a custom generator?  I don't
want
to script things, but do I just need to use XSP to instantiate my class (but I need the servlet
request object)?
Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!