cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: Cocoon Docs - The Next Generation
Date Fri, 07 May 2004 06:11:53 GMT
Upayavira

What you say makes sense... I guess I will have to
figure out the mysteries of xdoc and "patches" and
CVS now - unless there is a simple guide to this
on the Wiki ?  ;-)

BUT I still think there is a case for people who spot
mistakes and want to see things changed but are too
busy to go the route above -at least if they make a quick
note in the Wiki its better than none; otherwise one must
plow through the old archives and read each mail trying to
spot where people have found mistakes!  I'm one of those
people that every now and then will feel obliged to
"fix" something and so would pick out things from this page
"to do".

Derek

>>> uv@upaya.co.uk 2004/05/06 02:37:52 PM >>>
Derek Hohls wrote:

>There's been a lot of discussion on the mailing list
>about *what* to improve. Time to start putting fingers
>to the keyboard and work on doing it....
>
>I *assume* that the Wiki is the logical place to start;
>and that the Doc Team will work from there to update
>the main site... right?

The thing is, there isn't a doc team as such. It is just us lot. So, I

would say, start on the wiki by all means, but if you want to see the
official docs improve, send in patches to the xdoc files (it is pretty

easy once you've got the hang of it). Then we can commit those patches

(assuming they're any good) into CVS, and hey presto! Send enough good

patches, we'll get sufficiently irritated ;-) and will give you commit

rights on the repository - you'll then be able to just update it
yourself.

>At the moment, there is:
>http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Cocoon215TOC
>as the current "index" page for the overall structure, but can
>we not add a logical set of related pages:

That is a proposal. It could be taken a lot further.

>eg.
>Cocoon215Changes - changes people want to see to
>specific pages on the main site [eg. replace X with Y;
>remove page Z because....; add a page about M etc]

Don't relate name of this page to a specific version. It should be
rolling. When a change request has been handled and is in CVS, it is
removed from this page. So: DocumentationChangeRequests, I would
suggest.

>Cocoon215Tutorials - everyone wants to learn!  Add a
>wishlist or, even better, a link to an artilce or website
>that explains an idea or concept very well

Isn't there a tutorials page already? Better to improve that than to
add
another page.

Regards, Upayavira

believed to be clean.