cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: Vote: to unify, or not to unify - results
Date Wed, 05 May 2004 06:48:32 GMT
Bruno

Then the question - if XSP is NOT a "preferred" generator;
and JXT is a "fake" generator - what exactlly are we supposed
to be using for simple generation use cases; or are we saying
all users have to be full-on Java programmers and create
custom generators each time they want to do something that
requires a little logic??

Sorry to keep asking this, but there are some *very* mixed
signals on this one going out!

Derek

>>> bruno@outerthought.org 2004/05/04 08:34:08 PM >>>
On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 18:39, Nacho Jimenez wrote:
> >Other than the CPA, we would show other options. For example, if a
newbie
> >were reading up on JXTemplates, rather than saying that you can use
Jexl or
> >JXPath, we would choose our CPA (for example, JXPath), but have a
link to a
> >homologous page that explains the same things, but for Jexl. This
would
> >reduce one more variable, and thus one more possible source of delay
or
> >confusion to a newbie. So new users will be able to get up and
running much
> >faster, and once they have more experience, will be able to go over
the
> >alternative approaches.
> >

>     This is just an example of what I think we should avoid... The
> average user does not give a shiling about JXTemplates, JXPath, JEXL
or
> whatever load of letters we decide to acronymize today.
>
>     The user wants to know how can he set up his ubercool website
> accessing XML documents and SQL data with the mimimum of fuss, and
> hence, the document he is looking for is a step by step guide to do
that.

>     In one of those steps, he's shown how to get a needed parameter

> from the context, using our recommended method
(JXTemplateTransformer,
> through a JXPath expression).

(unrelated to the main topic, but couldn't resist)

I wouldn't recommend to use the JXTemplateTransformer (unless you have
good reasons to), as it is a fake generator, which has the
disadvantage
that templates can't be cached but need to be compiled on each use.

>  There, on a side note, you can have an
> overview on what JXTemplateTranformer is, why is it our preferred
method
> to access the parameter he needs and wich alternatives he could use,
and
> pointers to the wikiPages of the related tecnologies for a deeper
study
> if he needs it.

believed to be clean.