cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: Business Logic in Cocoon Applications?
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 06:40:11 GMT
Well, I did say "good practice", not "best practice"!
(I think the latter is a myth, anyway, and is so case-
specific as to be of little use).

If there are two (or three, or more?!) equally good
approaches, clearly laid out, with suggested areas
of application, and pros and cons highlighted, this is
a major step up from and "uh, just do what seems
right, you know" [with hands waving in the air].
People are competent enough to make their own
choices once you give them sufficient starting
material....

>>> natz@ya.com 2004/05/03 07:56:07 PM >>>
David Leangen wrote:

>Well said!
>
>I don't mind volunteering myself to draft a Wiki during my spare
time.

>However, as I mentioned before, I think that we need some type of
consensus
>on these issues... even if that means agreeing to disagree.
>

>So, first reach consensus and I'll sum in all up in a Wiki with
pleasure.

>:-)
>

>Dave

on
>>the issue of "where to locate the Business Logic"; with Cocoon Flow,
for
>>example, coming under criticism (and defence) for its potential to
act
>>(correctly or incorrectly?!) in this respect.
>>
>>It would be very helpful to set up a "good practice guide" for
Cocoon
>>users that identifies (a) what types of logic one encounters [what do
we
>>actually mean by 'Business Logic', and there are any other types??]
and
>>(b) how and where to go about implementing these in the various
layers.
>>As always, clear examples would help new users.
>>
>>I do not think it matters if the application is small or large,
simple
>>or complex, the principles and approaches need to be consistent so
that
>>one can transition from between projects knowing that the "same
things
>>will be in the same places".
>>
>>Any takers to draft a Wiki Page on this topic?

    Mine! Mine!

    The thing is.. who's so cocky as to say that he (she? any
cocoon-girls arround?) is using the best approach?

    I think we should run a debate on which is the "best" way to do
something and once we clarify which way is it, then we can do the wiki.

But we have to try to keep it in practical terms, or the dabate will
take on forever. Sometimes the theoreticaly-best way is not the best
way
due to performance, ease of use, etc..

    We could have several different scenarios and the best way to
implement each one.. and maybe as a final page, a guide with some
interesting alternatives that branch from each case...

believed to be clean.