cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "David Leangen" <dlean...@canada.com>
Subject RE: Dynamic aggregation
Date Mon, 10 May 2004 23:49:21 GMT

Ok, thanks Jeorg!

What you describe below seems to make good sense in the case that each XML
file doesn't need any additional processing.

However, in this case, each "component" needs to be processed individually
first. I need to generate a separate pipeline for each part, then merge them
at the end in the main pipeline. Here's another attempt at ASCII art:

Main pipeline      +-------->
  |                ^
  +- pipeline A ---+
  +- pipeline C ---+
        ...        |
  +- pipeline n ---+

I tried this using the CInclude approach, and that's when things began to
get very messy.

So, if possible, I'd like to maybe send off each sub-pipeline to a separate
thread, then aggregate them into the main pipeline for final processing. I'm
just not sure how to do this. Maybe ProcessPipelineTo in my flowscript would
work, but I'm not sure about the best way to do this. Any ideas?

However, if you say that you've done this type of thing using CInclude as
you describe below and that you've never encountered any problems, then I'll
have another look at what I've come up with and maybe try some major
refactoring or something.

This is a bit off topic, but in my current work is related to my impression
of this approach. I have mostly been unhappy with extensive use of XSLT
because I've found that "programming" in XSLT makes it very difficult to
follow good software design practices (such as high cohesion, low coupling)
and makes things very difficult to maintain. I think that my attempts to
make the code more easily maintainable have had some serious consequences on
performance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that
"programming" in XSLT requires a choice between maintainability or
performance. It seems to me that one can't have both... And there aren't yet
any good design patterns to help guide me, either.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing other people's experiences and comments on
this issue...