cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Sjur Nørstebø Moshagen <sjur.mosha...@kolumbus.fi>
Subject Re: Cocoon and Internationalization
Date Tue, 11 May 2004 06:54:01 GMT
På 11. mai. 2004 kl. 02.07 skrev Joerg Heinicke:

> On 10.05.2004 21:55, Dean West wrote:
>
>> I have been tasked with internationalization for the company I work
>> for, and
>> since we already use Cocoon in our current appliction - I am thinking
>> that
>> the "I18n Transformer" should do the job?
>> I like the concept of the I18n Transformer because it seperates the
>> different langues into their own source XML documents... this SEEMS
>> to be
>> way more efficient than having 1 xml source doc with a plethora of
>> "xml:lang" tags for each language translation.
>> Can anyone offer their expertise on this subject (best practices)?  -
>> it
>> just seems really heavy on the xml engine to have to parse huge xml
>> files
>> (containing all language translations).
>
> Yes, you should use multiple files. They offer as additional value the
> fallback from the language_country_variant to language_country to
> language to default if a key is missing in the more detailed variant.
> Did you read the documentation on I18nTransformer? I think it explains
> the details very well:
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/transformers/i18n-
> transformer.html
> The documentation on the wiki can probably not add much more, but the
> URL is: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=I18NTransformer

You should be aware that the present i18n support in Cocoon (2.1.4) is
missing one major i18n feature: whole-document i18n. The present
features are geared towards database-driven sites where you need to
translate table headings, menues, and other smaller pieces of texts as
part of a generated site. If your site is document-heavy in the sense
that you have largeish documents in several languages (each language in
a separate file, as you describe it above), there presently is no way
to select _documents_ (ie files) based on locale/language, at least I
have not been able to find a way of doing it.

BUT: Upayavira has implemented an i18n-ed file selector which does
proper fallbacks (lang_country_variant -> lang_country -> lang). I
haven't tried it yet myself, but I believe it is available in the
latest CVS versions. With it you can also easily select whole
documents/files based on locale.

Sjur