cocoon-users mailing list archives

From H.vanderLin...@MI.unimaas.nl
Subject RE: JXT or XSP?
Date Sun, 02 May 2004 20:41:47 GMT
FWIW:

I have a use case "add object" that goes like this:

1 get "empty" object from the backend
2 display object for user to fill in
3 transfer the filled-in object to the backend
4 if the object turns out to be a duplicate, show an error message and
redisplay the form
5 if not, the object is stored and the completed info is displayed in
another page.

I have a specialized backend, so I needed to write my own classes for this.

At first I tried doing this using XSP for step 1 and woody for step 2. I got
the idea that flow was preferable over actions, so I tried to tie it to the
flowscript used to display the form. Then I got stuck. There was no elegant
way to get step 3/4/5 implemented using XSP and I hated the idea to build
pipelines that would only be used to do some "helper conversions".

Then Marc suggested the idea to build the entire use case in a flow script
and that proved to be much more elegant. I now have 2 kinds of pipelines:
one for the flowscript to be called, one for the form to be displayed. They
are distinctly different, so it's easy to figure out which one is which.

Bye, Helma