cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Corin Moss" <Corin.M...@tvnz.co.nz>
Subject RE: document() in xsl:variable -> low performance
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 01:37:48 GMT

Hi There,

I've not been following this thread as closely as I might, so someone might have already mentioned
this:

If you use a string() function on your document value as below:

<xsl:variable name="lang"><xsl:value-of select="string(document('cocoon:/getxml')/context/lang)"/></xsl:variable>

Then you will forevermore be accessing only the value, not the entire document :)

Some might say it's a little hacky, but it is a simple fix which works.

HTH,

Corin

-----Original Message-----
From: Nils Köster [mailto:nils@lolili.de]
Sent: Monday, 3 May 2004 9:20 a.m.
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: document() in xsl:variable -> low performance

Hello,

In a stylesheet, I have this in the first line, outside of any template:

<xsl:variable name="lang"><xsl:value-of select="document('cocoon:/getxml')/context/lang"/></xsl:variable>

In the templates of this xsl I use the variable $lang about 40 times. The procession of this
stylesheet is very slow.

When I reduce the use of the variable $lang to one or none, it's very fast. When I use "en"
(without quotes) instead of <xsl:value-of select="document('cocoon:/getxml')/context/lang"/>
it's very fast, as well.

--> Does that mean, that everytime I use $lang cocoon executes
document('cocoon:/getxml') ??
--> How can I avoid that?

Regards,
Nils