cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Gould, Troy (ELS)" <T.Go...@Elsevier.com>
Subject RE: Cocoon Books
Date Fri, 14 May 2004 20:50:41 GMT
Funny.  I work for one of the larger publishers, and we are using cocoon on
more than a few projects.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Langham [mailto:mlangham@s-und-n.de]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 6:16 AM
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: RE: Cocoon Books

> Perhaps the authors of the first Cocoon books could tell us
> whether they got any new business from writing the books?
> That might encourage more people to write Cocoon books.

I hear the call :-)

Ok, first thing to say is that the IT book market is still a mess at the
moment (as it has been for the past 2-3 years). Publishers are very wary
about bringing out new books (especially on non-mainstream subjects). Also,
especially in the US, many publishers have merged their inprints - meaning
that some (such as Pearson) ended up with a couple of Cocoon books (for
example). This means that some books on a particular subject have fallen by
the wayside. Our Cocoon book is an example. Our last information from the
publisher was that there are no plans to do a new version - even though we
may perhaps want to.

Writing a book (an IT one especially) is - as Erik Hatcher wrote [1] - "one
of life's greatest sacrifices"

While you shouldn't think of writing an IT book to get rich (although a few
may), it can certainly help to make you (or your company) known as someone
with know-how on the subject ("personal marketing" if you will). In the end
we did get a bit of business from the book but certainly not very much. To
that respect I would think that articles in key IT magazines (and the online
versions) are more worthwhile at the moment.

Your mileage may of course vary.

Matthew

[1] - http://weblogs.java.net/pub/wlg/1239