cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Yves Vindevogel <yves.vindevo...@implements.be>
Subject Re: Dynamic connection to the database
Date Wed, 05 May 2004 22:34:03 GMT

> What are you using:  ESQL, SQLTransformer, ...?

ESQL for the moment, but this can change to SQLTransformer ...
I prefer the Transformer, since I have more control over the pipeline
then.
With ESQL I must use XSP, thus as a generator ...

> For ESQL at least, and I imagine for SQL Transformer, you don't have
> to use
> a pool connection.  You can dynamically provide the jdbc connection
> parameters.
You can ?
Examples ?

> The downside is that you make a new connection on every
> request

Bah, I can live with that if the performance loss is not that big !

> (unlike a traditional client-server application where your login
> session is maintained from page to page).  Also, you have to maintain
> db
> accounts for everyone who needs to log in.

This is done with a table (foreseen)

> We had a similar need in our application.  I did an extension to ESQL
> that
> uses a java SQL parser to take apart each query, and rewrite it to add
> in
> the auditing information (after looking to see if the tables in
> question
> have the auditing fields), using the web app login name instead of a
> separate Oracle account.  That way we can continue to use the pool
> connection.  This was the hard way, but it does the job.

This sounds to be the hard way indeed.
BUT, it could be useful, since I need a way to link my stored
procedures (functions actually in postgres) to my forms.
I was thinking about using a "mapper" in the form of XML files that
generate the calls.
I could go that way .... *thinking*