cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Darren Petrie <dpet...@anteon.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon and Internationalization
Date Tue, 11 May 2004 12:53:59 GMT
We have successfully used Cocoon on several "DOCUMENT oriented"
multi-lingual sites.  In our experience we have found that i18n is good
for internationalizing our application but not our content.   The text
that is part of the APPLICATION (menu bars, headings, navigation aides
etc) is all controlled under the i18n umbrella.   The CONTENT however
is simply marked up with language identifying tags.   We did this for a
couple of reasons.   One was outlined below in that i18n isn't really
designed for whole documents but rather bits and pieces.  The second
reason was that we wanted to keep our content "pure" separate from any
application specific mechanisms.  This way our content stands alone and
is ready to be used or served by any system.  Whether or not the
translated content is in a single file per document or individual
language files is completely a design choice.  We have done it both
ways.

Darren