cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Calling java from flowscripts: best practices?
Date Mon, 24 May 2004 23:35:20 GMT
On 24.05.2004 09:02, Thomas Kjeldahl Nilsson wrote:

> The "official" cocoon doc is somewhat short on info best practices in
> flowscript->java situations. My current impression is "you can
> instantiate classes, call static methods without instantiating, or wrap
> your code into Avalon components that may or may not give you
> performance benefits." :-)

It's a new technology and there are not many people having so much
experience for providing best practices. I did it with an Avalon
component, but I can't imagine that this solution is faster than
instantiating a plain java object as you have to assign the Avalon
lifecycle (I use Cocoon logging in my class). Even pooling will not elp
much as a lookup often takes more time than an instantiation. But this
depends obviously heavily on the class to instantiate of course. If you
need heavy calculation for it, remote lookups, etc. it will be probably
better to pool it. Otherwise not.

All IMO.

Joerg