cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject [RT] The Bootable Cocoon Demo CD
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 18:50:03 GMT
Has anyone had any luck (or even tried) to create a bootable CD with a
working Cocoon/Jetty installed?

I've played a little with Knoppix [1], and I was impressed with what
they can cram into a single CD.  There's even docs about remastering
Knoppix to suit your needs [2].

Things to think about:

o No writable disk.  This means there would be nowhere to put logs and
other stuff.  Does Knoppix have a ramdisk?

o Speed.  Not sure if this would be a factor.

o Distributing other software.  I'm not sure what Sun has to say about
distributing their JRE. I think it would be fine.  Acrobat Reader would
be another "must" to show off the FOP.  SVG viewers are good as well.

It would be really cool to pop in a CD, and have the system boot to a
web browser with a running instance of Cocoon.  I'm not totally sure how
useful it would be, but it might be worth at least checking out.

WDYT?

Tony

[1] http://www.knoppix.net/
[2] http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto