cocoon-users mailing list archives

From JD Daniels ...@datatrio.com>
Subject Re: Vote: to unify, or not to unify - results
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 11:18:54 GMT
Nacho Jimenez wrote:

>> Other than the CPA, we would show other options. For example, if a
>> newbie
>> were reading up on JXTemplates, rather than saying that you can use
>> Jexl or
>> JXPath, we would choose our CPA (for example, JXPath), but have a
>> link to a
>> homologous page that explains the same things, but for Jexl. This would
>> reduce one more variable, and thus one more possible source of delay or
>> confusion to a newbie. So new users will be able to get up and
>> running much
>> faster, and once they have more experience, will be able to go over the
>> alternative approaches.
>>

>    This is just an example of what I think we should avoid... The
> average user does not give a shiling about JXTemplates, JXPath, JEXL
> or whatever load of letters we decide to acronymize today.
>
>    The user wants to know how can he set up his ubercool website
> accessing XML documents and SQL data with the mimimum of fuss, and
> hence, the document he is looking for is a step by step guide to do that.
>
>    In one of those steps, he's shown how to get a needed parameter
> from the context, using our recommended method (JXTemplateTransformer,
> through a JXPath expression). There, on a side note, you can have an
> overview on what JXTemplateTranformer is, why is it our preferred
> method to access the parameter he needs and wich alternatives he could
> use, and pointers to the wikiPages of the related tecnologies for a
> deeper study if he needs it.

I have to disagree a bit here....

When I started with cocoon, I wanted to load a simple result set from a
database into an xml file and transform it. simple enough. I wanted to
use jxtemplate .. it was what everyone suggested. but no one it seemed,
could tell me why both ${var} and #{var} both worked.. and in fact in my
use case, one didn't. So I was faced with learning 2 expression
syntaxes, with a deadline facing me. This was a week long agony for me
and I ended up using xsp because there was a n00b tutorial up and I
could make it work. Now, most of my stuff is based on xsp for the
datbase queries. I have moved into other advancements since then like
woody and flow, but now I have to look at refactoring from xsp if I want
to keep up with cocoon develpment. ( Don't get me wrong here, basically
xsp exists to use esql in my mind.. the rumblings of change there are a
good idea )

JD