cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@digitalinsight.com>
Subject RE: Business Objects vs Data Objects [was Re: JXTemplates - what' s in a name?]
Date Thu, 06 May 2004 18:24:42 GMT
OK. Your definition is much clearer than mine. Thanks.

Ralph

-----Original Message-----
From: Ugo Cei [mailto:u.cei@cbim.it]
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 10:24 AM
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: Business Objects vs Data Objects [was Re: JXTemplates - what' s
in a name?]

Ralph Goers wrote:
> Isn't what you wrote just a restatement of what I wrote? Perhaps my
> statements just weren't clear.

I don't think so. You said:

"In my environment a DAO is the object that is the result of reading
from the database (or some other source)."

To me this means (more or less) that you read from the db and as a
result you get an object whose fields contain values from the database
columns.

If this is what you mean, it isn't a DAO. This is a DAO:

Dao myDao = daoFactory.getDao();
SomeClass valueObject = myDao.find(pk);

"valueObject" is the result of reading. "myDao" is what you use to read it.

Sorry to be nitpicking, but since this thread revolves around
nomenclature, we'd better agree on what each term means exactly.

	Ugo