cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@digitalinsight.com>
Subject RE: Business Objects vs Data Objects [was Re: JXTemplates - what' s in a name?]
Date Thu, 06 May 2004 16:55:01 GMT
Isn't what you wrote just a restatement of what I wrote? Perhaps my
statements just weren't clear.

Ralph

-----Original Message-----
From: Ugo Cei [mailto:u.cei@cbim.it]
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 9:40 AM
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: Business Objects vs Data Objects [was Re: JXTemplates - what' s
in a name?]

Ralph Goers wrote:
> In my environment a DAO is the object that is the result of reading from
the
> database (or some other source).

You can call them anything you like, but the accepted meaning of DAO is
an object that is used to read/store Value Objects from/to a persistent
storage. A DAO has no attributes with business meaning. See [1].

 > Finally DataTransferObjects are the objects sent to the
 > presentation tier as the result of a request.

DTOs are used to transfer data in a single chunk between layers of a
*distributed* application. That is, if you have a remote object (imagine
an entity EJB) with many attributes, you'd rather copy the attribute
values to a DTO and serialize it to the client rather than call many
getters across the wire. [2]

If your presentation layer is remote, you can as well send DTOs to it.

	Ugo