cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Vote: to unify, or not to unify - results
Date Wed, 05 May 2004 07:48:35 GMT
On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 08:48, Derek Hohls wrote:
> Bruno
>
> Then the question - if XSP is NOT a "preferred" generator;
> and JXT is a "fake" generator - what exactlly are we supposed
> to be using for simple generation use cases; or are we saying
> all users have to be full-on Java programmers and create
> custom generators each time they want to do something that
> requires a little logic??

Sorry, I had to be a bit more explicit: JXTemplateGenerator is ok, but
JXTemplateTransformer is what I call a "fake generator", I mean it works
just like the generator, but while the generator reads the template
source from the source specified in the src attribute (and compiles it
once and then keeps it cached for fast execution), the transformer takes
as input the incoming SAX events, dynamically 'compiles' the template,
and only when it gets the endDocument event starts processing it.

The same is somewhat true for XSLT (processing only starts on the
endDocument event, it doesn't work streaming), but for XSLT the
stylesheet is precompiled.

Depending on the case this might all not be a problem, ie if you can
live with the non-streaming behaviour and the performance. But if you
want to show best practices to new users, show them to use the
JXTemplateGenerator, not the JXTemplateTransformer.