cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: JXTemplates - what's in a name?
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 08:21:47 GMT
On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 08:20, Derek Hohls wrote:
> Well, a template is normally thought of something where you
> have a layout and just "fill in the holes" with data created
> somewhere else, vs a generator whose assignment it is to
> do the data generation in the first place....

The result of processing a template is also data. A template-based
generator provides an easy alternative to writing a custom generator
that would do the equivalent of the template (which would be the only
option if there weren't template-based generators). I don't see how in
this context the definition of the word template would differ from the
definition you have given.

It's no big deal, but you suggested that I was putting another meaning
in the word template then your definition (layout with filling in
holes), but that wasn't the case or certainly not my intention. In fact
now that I reread my message I was exactly defending that a template
shouldn't do more then that.