cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Christian Rosenberger" <pieperm...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [RT] The Bootable Cocoon Demo CD
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 18:54:46 GMT
Hi Tony!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Collen" <colle006@umn.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 8:50 PM
Subject: [RT] The Bootable Cocoon Demo CD

> Has anyone had any luck (or even tried) to create a bootable CD with a
> working Cocoon/Jetty installed?

There is a Knoppix remastered CD for Java/Tomcat/JBoss:
http://moe.tnc.edu.tw/~kendrew/pollix/

> I've played a little with Knoppix [1], and I was impressed with what
> they can cram into a single CD.  There's even docs about remastering
> Knoppix to suit your needs [2].
>
> Things to think about:
>
> o No writable disk.  This means there would be nowhere to put logs and
> other stuff.  Does Knoppix have a ramdisk?

Yes, it has. Works great.

> o Speed.  Not sure if this would be a factor.

With enough RAM this should be no problem.

> o Distributing other software.  I'm not sure what Sun has to say about
> distributing their JRE. I think it would be fine.  Acrobat Reader would
> be another "must" to show off the FOP.  SVG viewers are good as well.
>
> It would be really cool to pop in a CD, and have the system boot to a
> web browser with a running instance of Cocoon.  I'm not totally sure how
> useful it would be, but it might be worth at least checking out.
> WDYT?
Think it would be very good for demonstration purpose. You could have your
applications on an usb stick and mount this directory to the live CD.

Regards,

Christian