cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: JXT or XSP?
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:32:16 GMT
Peter

Thanks; what you say makes a lot of sense.

1. It would be very helpful to have at least *something*
written down by someone who has experience in converting
from XSP to JXT [hint, hint] as a way of helping a move to
a better way of doing things.

2.  There obviously needs to be a "push" from the system
designers and site maintainers to promote JXT to the fore
(esp. with the upcoming release of 2.1.5) and start to let
XSP "fall below the radar".   Existing examples and so on
could all be converted over to show the use of JXT and so
the change would happen [for the old guard of course - the
"new" guard would simply start off with the "best habits"].

Hopefully a combination of the above would help with the
"standardisation" you speak of...

Derek

>>> beyanet@ntlworld.com 2004/04/30 02:15:10 PM >>>
Derek,
I initially, like i'm sure everyone else, started using XSP as that
seemed to be all there was. Then I discovered JXT and flowscript! What
can I say... I changed all of my XSP over to JXT, which made the code a
lot easier and lighter. XSP seems to be very convoluted for example in
the way in which you pass parameters into and out of it! The benefits
of Flowscript (MVC) are self explanatory, and I would be very surprised
if cocoon is not pushed in this direction.

All of the components that you mention, generators etc etc..., can all
be used with JXT as well as far as I'm aware.

I just think it would be a good idea to start standardising on some
core technologies within the cocoon framework, instead of stumbling
across these various technologies as time goes by!

Peter
On 30 Apr 2004, at 13:03, Derek Hohls wrote:

> Peter
>
> Do you have experience of using?
>
> I am also wondering the same thing (see the other thread on
> "Using JXTemplates\JXForms at the same time).  I have used
> XSP up to now (as it was 'all there was' in earlier Cocoon
> versions.  I think much of the documentation also reflects that
> history.
>
> For example: the user menu on the website also reflects this bias
> towards XSP:
>
> Sitemap Components
> -Generators
> -Transformers
> -Serializers
> -Matchers
> -Selectors
> -Actions
> -Readers
>
> Control Flow
> -XSP
>
> No mention here at all  of JXT ;-(
>
> Unfortunately the examples on the Cocoon site, show JXT being
> used in a way that remind óne of JSP - emdedding logic in an
> HTML web page" - this put me off even learning it all! See:
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/flow/jxtemplate.html#macro
>

> PERSONAL OBSERVATION:
> I think that all the examples on the site, where info is generated,
> should
> avoid HTML if at al possible - HTML (or HTML or WML) should only appear
> as a result of XSLT step....

> Hi,
> why use(promote) XSP, when JXT and flowscript is a far more powerful
> environment to develop in?
>
> Peter

> --
> believed to be clean.