cocoon-users mailing list archives

From gou...@osmosis.gr
Subject Re: Cocoon: Language Babel -or- Database Development Platform ?
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:46:17 GMT
Hi

we are using cocoon 2 years ago just for publishing static web sites
and we think that its THE perfect choice for that.

further more we have try to use cocoon as a Database Front-End-ReadOnly
interface. And here cocoon's power to handle SQL select queries in the way
Query --> xml --XSL--> [presentation] make it THE perfect shoice too.

the problems start when we have to use cocoon to handle user input
Forms / SQL Update queries etc.
and all this because:

- there is no standard (yet) form handling mechanism, CForms maybe will
give
a solution but they are to complex and not Production-Ready.

- there is not a standard mechanism to make Database updates.
ESQL is very powerfull (and simple) for select queries but not for update/delete
Action, some time ago all the people here talking about actions, now
noone.
Flowscript sounds revolutionary but too complex and to "young".

- and there is no IDE to work.
all the new cocoon technologies(cforms/flowscript) are targeting to solve
common problems in development of BIG webApplications, but the question
here is: "When you have to work an a BIG project is it possible to work
without an IDE?" Has anyoune try to test for example DotNET studio in
web application development? everithing there are a piece of cake not
because the technologies this approache offer but because the IDE.

- its not so easy to debug a web application. log files are so verbose
that become huge and difficult handle in few requests

let me notice that we do the 90% of our web development using cocoon
but we also think that something is missing

--stavros