cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Schultz, Gary - COMM" <GSchu...@commerce.state.wi.us>
Subject RE: Best Way to Build a "Traditional" Website Structure Using Coc oon?
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:13:04 GMT
I'm getting off the subject somewhat, but I think css is the way to go. It
takes some extra work and effort to get things right in the various
browsers, but if stick to the css basics it works. My web pages render fine
in IE5.0 on Windows and Mac, and the latest version of Konquerer in Linux.
There are some things you can do with css that require complex nested
tables, which can make things confusing. Tables also tend to render
different in the various browsers.

-----Original Message-----
From: Leon Widdershoven [mailto:qaz@dds.nl]
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 7:44 AM
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: Best Way to Build a "Traditional" Website Structure Using
Coc oon?

I have found that supporting multiple browser is a nightmare when using
CSS. You need to have the test results of all supported browser at hand,
or you will forget something.

If you test on Mozilla, you will be shocked when viewing the results
on IE6, if you develop for IE6 you get problems with IE5.5. Safest bet
is to develop for IE5.5 (simplest CSS) and then test on mozilla (which is
pretty conformant).

Tables still are the safest bet. You can do quite a lot with XSL concerning
dynamic formatting, if you wish.

I reverted a CSS based set of pages to XSL formatted pages (with only simple
CSS) just because I had to support IE5.5, IE6 and of course Mozilla and
Konqueror.

Also don't try to dynamically format contents using client-side javascript,
unless you are a true JS wizard or support a single browser.

My lesson is: stick to HTML, IE can handle that. As a side note: Don't use
PNG
with transparancy, IE can't handle that.

As a hint for your other problem I can show an edited part of my code. This
is
indeed only one of the ways (the pages were xsp) -another way is with the
JXTemplate generator or transformer.

This code is called with something like something like
<pipeline-list>
	<pipeline-entry>
		<Company>Foo</Company>
		<Address>Bar</Address>
	</pipeline-entry>
	<pipeline-entry>
		<Company>Foo2</Company>
		<Address>Bar2</Address>
	</pipeline-entry>
</pipeline-list>

And the templates are:
     <xsl:template match="pipeline-list">
	<xsl:choose>
	    <xsl:when test="count(pipeline-entry)=0">
		<!-- We don't have entries in this table - don't display
table 		-->
		<b>No Results</b>
	    </xsl:when>
	    <xsl:otherwise>
width="100%">
		<th>
		    Company
		</th>
		<th>
		    Address
		</th>
	    <xsl:apply-templates/> <!-- These are the cells -->
<!-- Example of selecting a node: These are totals appearing at the bottom
-->
                 <th><xsl:value-of select="total/TQA"/> <
                 </th>
                 <th><xsl:value-of select="total/TWQA"/>
                 </th>
                 <th>
                 </th>
     </xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:choose>

     <xsl:template match="pipeline-entry">
		<xsl:value-of select="Company"/>
		<!-- Have a match="Address" somewhere -->
		<xsl:apply-templates/>
  </xsl:template>