cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist ...@wrinkledog.com>
Subject Re: essential reading
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 15:16:15 GMT

On Apr 1, 2004, at 6:13 AM, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> jacques couzteau dijo:
>> <..snip..>My goal is to get a quickstart at developing my own wepapps
>> using XSLT
>> and a posgreSQL and get the important stuff right from the beginning.
>
> Beginning XSLT from Jeni Tenninson is a excelent book to start from
> cero
> in the XSLT world: ASIN 1861005946

I have that book too, and I refer to it often (but it is probably time
for me to graduate to the Michael Kay book).  JT's book is built in one
of my least favorite ways — inductive teaching by way of a book-length
example application.  So each point is developed in relation to some
problem that needs to be solved as the example is developed, which is
great if you have time to actually sit down and read the thing through
cover-to-cover.  It's hard to just drop in at any point, because you
have to stop and get your bearings by pulling together enough context
to figure out what she's illustrating.  But the actual explanations are
both lucid and accessible, which I think is what keeps me coming back
to it!  So I'd second that recommendation :-)

> <..snip> Of course the 2.0 features can be used in 2.1 too.

...but of course they might be deprecated or destined for it.  Or there
might be a better way in 2.1...

> The Lajos book is very good is you are looking to work with XSP.

Case in point :-)... why would someone starting from scratch want to
use XSP?  He said he wanted to "get the important stuff right from the
beginning..." :-)

Cheers,
~ mark