cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Sjur Nørstebø Moshagen <sjur.mosha...@kolumbus.fi>
Subject Re: [i18n] Xalan replaces encoded characters with entities
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2004 05:46:28 GMT
På 28. apr. 2004 kl. 00.58 skrev Joerg Heinicke:

> On 20.04.2004 11:02, Sjur Nørstebø Moshagen wrote:
>
>> all my XML documents are completely in UTF-8, but Cocoon outputs
>> entities for many non-ascii characters. Although this does not create
>> any badly formatted pages, it does increase the size of the output
>> html file (most such utf-8 characters will take 2 bytes, whereas the
>> entities regularly take 7 or more bytes), and seems both unneccessary
>> and some extra work in an all-utf-8 context, both for the server and
>> the client. As my site contains a lot of these characters, I would
>> like to turn it off. But it doesn't seem to be possible:
>> After some searching I hunted down the following paragraph in the
>> description for XalanJ 2.6.0
>> (http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/readme.html):
>>>     •     For HTML output, Xalan-Java 2 outputs character entity
>>> references (&copy; etc.) for the special characters designated in
>>> Appendix A. DTDs of the XHTML 1.0: The Extensible HyperText Markup
>>> Language. Xalan-Java 1.x, on the other hand, outputs literal
>>> characters for some of these special characters.
>> That is, it seems default behaviour, and I have found no Cocoon or
>> other documentiation or tips to change it. Anyone can help me with
>> this?
>
> I don't know any option to influence this behaviour.

Thanks for the answer. Due to the lack of responses (apart from yours),
and the general lack of documentation on this feature, I have accepted
the behaviour as intended and non-changeable. The "solution" would be
to change from HTML to XML (e.g. XHTML). On the other hand, the
behaviour has the nice (most likely intended) side effect that even
browsers/OS-es as old as to not support Unicode/UTF-8 will be able to
render all non-ASCII characters that are enccoded as entities. Not that
that is very useful on my site, but it _does_ make it possible to read
help/info pages that explain the character set issues involved for the
site, and how possible browser problems can be resolved.

So for the time being I won't do anything to change the output, despite
the increased size.

Sjur