cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Nichols <nx10m...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject RE: CRM or Sales Force Automation using Cocoon?
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2004 21:30:35 GMT
Chris,

A few people have replied off-list, so I'll reply to the list since there
seems to be some interest. From a look around OFBiz it seemed that the CRM
modules are not yet very well developed, is that correct? The architecture
looks pretty good, and there's certainly some activity there. Compiere
again, when I looked at it, seemed strong in other areas - particularly ERP
- but not what I was after for a CRM and "groupware" tool. Since I've
worked with a number of these CRM beasts, most recently SalesForce and
SalesNet, I was considering writing a very basic one that just meets our
immediate needs using Cocoon.

Jeff Davis' post referred me to Thinlet - which is hugely attractive as a
presentation layer. I'm just trying to work out whether Compiere / OFBiz
are worth the extra investment on the server side, Cocoon seems to provide
most of the architecture I need - auth, hibernate for persistence, flow
etc. Given my simple requirements, and heeding Clay Shirky's advice on KISS:
http://www.shirky.com/writings/situated_software.html
what do you feel would be the major benefits of using OFBiz+Cocoon instead
of just Cocoon?

We do not need a retail front end - high-value software, every sale
involves sales people - though if we did OFBiz would be much more appealing.

Thanks for your suggestions thus far.

Best Regards,
Thomas.