cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Is there any tool or method to debug the pipeline?
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2004 07:38:15 GMT

lech wrote:
> to see how stream flows in the pipeline after a request comes in?
>
> I have difficulty in figuring out which part of my pipeline works and
> which part not. I don't know what to do.
>
> is there any tools for this?

kinda manually add/remove style:
- copy/paste in xml serializer at various stages in the pipe, replay
each request and check the outcome in the browser

- or intersect with log-transformer so you can verify different
intermediate stages at once

more tool supported:
- you can switch pipeline implementation to profiling-caching, and then
see http://localhost:8888/samples/blocks/profiler/welcome for sample usage

- there is one tool (freeware) that helps you visiualize in eclipse:
http://www.s-und-n.de/sunshine/ccos/produkte/english/sunbow

General remark:
Only the log-transformer gives an accurate view of the information
passed in the SAX-events, but the log format might make it hard to
'recognise' the XML.
All other techniques offer you a more convenient XML view of what passed
through the pipe: however you must understand that this XML is a
*representation* of the original sax-events which is 'as interpreted' by
some serializer.  The fact is that if you would save that XML and parse
it, it would possibly yield *different* sax events then the ones that
were 'recorded' during pipe execution.
In particular regarding namespaces and xslt transformations this has
yielded some frustration over here.

HTH,
-marc=