cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: From based wizard
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2004 11:47:08 GMT
Timur Izhbulatov wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Timur Izhbulatov wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All!
>>> I develop a simple client management application but I'm pretty new
>>> to all this cocoon and java stuff.
>>> My task in hand is to create a step-by-step wizard for registering
>>> clients. I took a look at cocoon samples but still can't realize
>>> which way to chose.
>>> Requirments and conditions:
>>> - To add a client the user have to fill and submit a form (or series
>>> of forms)
>>> - The form encoding should be UTF-8 'cause it has to deal with
>>> non-english data (names, titles etc.) so I use the folowing serializer:
>>>         </map:serializer>
>>>         <map:serializer logger="sitemap.serializer.html"
>>> mime-type="text/html" name="html" pool-grow="4" pool-max="32"
>>> pool-min="4" src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.HTMLSerializer">
>>>         <doctype-public>-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
>>>             Transitional//EN</doctype-public>
>>>
>>> <doctype-system>http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd</doctype-system>
>>>         <encoding>UTF-8</encoding>
>>>         </map:serializer>
>>> - The data are kept in xindice-embed:///db/caclient/ collection.
>>> Each resource in the collection represents a single client.
>>> I have working database browsing at the moment but I have to add
>>> each resource by hand.
>>> Any advice would very appreciated!
>>

>> One pointer - the XMLDBSource is 'Modifiable', which means that it
>> can be written to. Therefore, if you look at the CForms binding code
>> in the CForms samples, you can actually bind a CForms form to a
>> document within Xindice. This should make writing a forms site that
>> stores its data in Xindice pretty easy - just replace the file URL
>> with an XMLDB one.
>

> Thanks a lot! I just realized that CForms is just a new name for woody =)

Okay. CForms isn't included in a released Cocoon. Sorry for the confusion.

> It's no wonder that I can't find any useful mention of it on apache.org.

Hah!

> So should I refer to woody docs/samples? Or where could I find CForms
> samples?

No, look at the Woody samples, particularly the binding ones.

> I'm running cocoon 2.1.4 and it has woody samples but no CForms ones.

Yup, correct. 2.1.5 will have CForms in it, when released.

> P.S. Woody is marked as unstable and therefore it's somehow confusing

Yup. Unstable in terms of API, not necessarily code quality. Surely a
rename from Woody to CForms counts as an instability? ;-)

Anyway, Woody/CForms are still under development, and it will take some
time longer before the developers will be willing to consider its
interface to be stable. Therefore, if you choose to use it, you'll have
to be prepared to keep your code up to date as it changes.

Regards, Upayavira