cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Xindice 1.1b4 (dev-sorry), Cocoon 2.1.4 (dev - sorry), Tomcat 5.019
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:30:14 GMT
Nina,

First of all, you're very welcome.  I was (and am) writing this on the
Fedora Core 1 side of my machine, so I used mostly UNIX information.
Let me see if I can't translate this into Windows/2000 specific
information.

First of all, my environment variables need translating.  When I say
$TOMCAT_HOME, in Windows/2000 I should say %TOMCAT_HOME%.  Also, with
Tomcat 4.1x and 5.x, the environment variable has been changed to
%CATALINA_HOME%, although some of the Apache documentation is
inconsistent on this point.

Now to the particulars:

a) In step 3, uncomment the following, since you're on Windows/2000 and
not UNIX:

<map:match pattern="~*/**">
      <!-- win32 -->
 <map:mount
  check-reload="yes"
  src="/Documents and Settings/{1}/My Documents/My Website"
  uri-prefix="~{1}"/>
</map:match>

b) In step 6, create the My Website folder under your My Documents
folder.  An easy way to do this is to open My Documents on the desktop,
right mouse click, select New--->Folder, and name the folder My
Website.  Please note that it may already be there.

c) In step 7, open the My Website folder and create another folder
called xsl.  An easy way to do this is to open My Website in My
Documents on the desktop, right mouse click, select New--->Folder, and
name the folder xsl.

Now, some potential comments about your documents in the Xindice
database.  I apologize if you already understand xml document structure,
so please bare with me.

All xml documents must start with something like the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

The encoding doesn't have to be specified, but you must have at least:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

at the beginning of each document.  That is probably the source of your
"The XML document must have a top element" error.

Also, your XML document must be well-formed.  Basically, all tags must
nested.

Xindice has two basic clients (I'm not sure if the managed driver counts
as a client) - xindice, and xindice-embed.  The xindice client actually
calls the real client, xindice-xmlrpc, which works either on local
network-available Xindice databases.  xindice-embed only works for
embedded databases within the same Java VM.

When you use your URL xmldb:xindice://localhost:8080/db, you are
actually using xmldb:xindice-xmlrpc://localhost:8080/db.

Using a specific embedded Xindice database with Tomcat and Cocoon is
somewhat of a pain on Windows/2000.  You've probably installed Tomcat to
run as a service on Windows/2000.  There are two consequences of doing
this.

1) Trying to start Tomcat with catalina.bat start will silently fail
since Tomcat is already running as a service.

2) Changes to catalina.bat will NOT be reflected in your Tomcat that
runs as a service.

Using an embedded Xindice database gets a little messy, and I can write
this up as a separate mail message if you wish.  Basically, you have to
stop the Tomcat service, change the registry information, create an
appropriate system.xml file for your embedded Xindice database, and then
start the Tomcat service again.

I am hoping that somewhere buried in the Cocoon code are some hints that
will allow you to change Cocoon's web.xml to tell Cocoon about an
embedded Xindice database.  That way, multiple Cocoon applications (in
different contexts) could use different embedded Xindice databases.  I
haven't found that information yet, but I've not looked that hard
either.

Once again, this is a rather lengthy mail message . . .

I hope that clears some things up.

/mde/
just my two cents . . . .