cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject RE: Coccon vs. JSP
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:52:02 GMT
Alejandro

You could always try a CMS such as Lenya,
which is already integrated with Cocoon -
but if OpenCMS can already store its data in XML,
then you can always write an interface in Cocoon
to run on top of it, allowing for a user to select his
parameters, and using the Cocoon backbone to
do the hard work of the text,PDF etc generation.
If OpenCMS uses some other format, you can then
write a generator that reads in the source file
and spits it out as XML...

See:
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/developing/extending.html#When+to+write+a+Generator

or
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=WritingGenerators

So - all this is possible in Cocoon - but if you have got
very small needs that you know will not chnage, then
go on the way you already know [ie. there are other
contraints like time and money, not just "best technical
choice", that we must all consider...].  But if you do
pursue the Cocoon route, you are bound to pick up some
interest from folks, if you helping to link to another OS
project....

Derek

>>> almartinez@sgi.es 2004/03/12 04:41:59 PM >>>

	Thank you very much for your answers, but I am still a bit
confused. The
reason why I asked you it is because I am thinking of integrating
Cocoon
with a content manager like OpenCMS. I thought it would be useful for
someone to generate a web page in a simple way, using OpenCMS, and then
easyly let him customize some parameters of the web page generated,
like
backgrounds, languages,etc, and that then he can convert it easyly to
text,PDF,etc.

	Do you think Cocoon can help me on this better than JSP?

	Alejandro