cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist ...@wrinkledog.com>
Subject cocoon.createObject()
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 23:31:21 GMT
OK, I've picked up on a few email threads about the new createObject()
and disposeObject() methods.  There's something in the release notes
about them too, but not enough to make it clear to me how or why to use
them.

I just started really learning Cocoon a couple of months ago, and all
the Avalon stuff under the bonnet is really still terra incognita to
me.  So when the docs say, "it goes through all the Avalon lifecycle
interfaces" or whatever it says, I'm sure that means something to
somebody, but I'm still waiting for a clue to strike.

But... as I've been writing the Java business objects for this app, I
sometimes get this feeling that they maybe really ought to be Avalon
components.  I don't know why I get that feeling, because I don't
really dig Avalon yet, so it's just a feeling :-).

So... if somebody could give a brief overview, or point us to one,
that'd be great.  It seems like these methods were added because the
Cocoon devs want the community to move more towards some style of
development, and if so I'm sure it would speed adoption if something
could be done to evangelize the Avalon-unhip crowd.

~ Mark