cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Corin Moss" <Corin.M...@tvnz.co.nz>
Subject RE: Issue in XMLByteStreamInterpreter with large files
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 08:41:51 GMT
Hi All,

I've made some interesting progress on this issue.   It seems on closer
inspection, that these errors are actually caused by badly formed XML
documents.  The errors are somewhat generic in nature.  What is really
interesting is that the XML documents are only badly formed when cached
(they seem to be fine at generation time.)

I have an RDF tree which is made up of a series of more granular RDF
documents.  At the highest level (an aggregate of ~100 documents) I see
a broken document.  When I go down to the specific RDF:Description block
which is broken and call the generating XSP directly, it is fine.  When
I go to the "middle"  I see a broken document.  The structure is
represented like this:

-1st tier, cached aggregation of lower tiers
    -2nd tier, cached aggregation of lower tiers
        -3rd tier - individual "record"
        -3rd tier - individual "record"
        -3rd tier - individual "record"
    -2nd tier, cached aggregation of lower tiers
        -3rd tier - individual "record"
        -3rd tier - individual "record"

In this example tiers 1 and 2 are invalid documents, but 3 is always
valid.  What seems to be happening is the the 2nd tier is caching a
broken document, and the 1st tier is then caching the 2nd tier, which is
of course broken.  When I clear the cache for this key - it will (in
most cases) then be fine on subsequent re-generation.

After tracing back through some classes, I've that the outputBufferSize
attribute of a pipeline might have some effect here, so I tuned it to be
10k.  The issue is now all but gone, (so far ;) and pipeline requests
are up to 5 times faster to generate.

I shall keep investigating - but I'd appreciate any comments on my
findings so far, I'd be happy to clarify anything :)

Thanks,

Corin