cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Los Morales" <morales...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: new to cocoon question
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:38:49 GMT
Well, in essence, struts actions do return a "forward".  However, the
page/action to forward to is agnostic in practice, i.e. the actual page or
action to forward next is defined separately in a config file called
struts-config.xml (I think this is similar to the sitemap).  So really the
configuration where struts  does its forwarding is outside of the action
classes.

In theory, the struts actions are extensions of the controller (or model,
depending on how you interpret it) in the MVC paradigm.  They can represent
the actual business logic, but in practice they are used as
delegates--calling business objects to do the work.  Hence struts actions
are like a service layer for the front-end, interacting with the business
layer.   Looking at cocoon actions, they return a Map containing information
used for display purposes.  This can be done in struts actions by explicitly
putting the information into the request (usually encapsulated as a bean)
that can be easily manipulated with struts or jstl tags.

Therefore my understanding thus far about cocoon when comparing it to struts
is that the cocoon actions are "similar" to struts actions.  Do you use
cocoon actions more often then the *traditional* pipeline for doing MVC
applications?  I really don't see anywhere else in the cocoon framework
where there is an explicit class that handles requests, calls services from
the business layer and returns a response.  Everything else in cocoon seems
to be all transformations of some sort.

Also, struts has a neat thing with declaring forms.  There is the
traditional way of creating POJOs via ActionForms and there is the
declarative way defined in the struts-config called DynaForms.  In cocoon, I
see something called "woody" and "xforms".  I have no clue how these forms
are used within the cocoon framework, particular with cocoon actions.  In
struts, the form used for submission is explicitly passed to the action
handling the form.  In cocoon actions, I don't see any woody form being
passed in...

Any more suggestions would be appreciated!  Thanks!

-los