cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Character set and request parameter (german umlauts)
Date Sat, 27 Mar 2004 16:12:28 GMT
On 27.03.2004 14:20, Patrick Schlaepfer wrote:

> Do have a normal html form which passes one parameter
> to an action. This action gets a resultset (SQL Transformer)
> and the output will be html.
> As there are also German umlauts in this parameter,
> Cocoon mixes up the request sting I put on the
> result page:
>
> int .xsl File
> <xsl:param name="ort"/>
>
> Is I use xhtml as output and set the encoding to UTF-8
> the query string is replace correctly (although mixed up characters)
> but as the data is not stored in UTF-8 in the database,
> get all german umlauts wrong.

That's no reason for switching to ISO-8859-1. If the characters come
back correctly from the client in UTF-8 you have again correct strings
server side. If you want to put them as ISO-8859-1 into database, you
can recode the strings. I would not make my client encoding dependent on
the database encoding.

> So basically I want to have a all ISO-8859-1 solution, but
> it does not work. On all files I'm using there is the
> encoding="ISO-8859-1" parameter.
> Also have
>  <doctype-public>-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN</doctype-public>
>  <encoding>ISO-8859-1</encoding>
> In the serializer for html.
>
> Anyone did that before?

Probably yes as it is a common use case. AFAIK the URL encoding (which
is infact used for a/@href) is based on UTF-8 while when using a form
the parameters are encoded in document's encoding. As the server expects
now ISO-8859-1 the a/@href will not work with character above the ASCII
ones. (Please correct me if something was wrong or inaccurate.)

Joerg