cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: performance with transformation on BIG xml files
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:03:17 GMT
adrian.dimulescu@free.fr wrote:

> So nobody ever served big xml files with Cocoon ?

Don't confuse no answer given with no answer existing.  I have not personally
(although I was involved with using Cocoon to present the bible in xml format -
but we split it up into 66 files - one file per book - instead of one big file)
but many have.  What have you found in the archives for this list and the dev
list?

In the end, this is an issue with any xsl transformation of large files which
generally involves putting a bloated dom representation in memory.  If you don't
have enough memory (sounds like the case) you will get a lot of paging out to
disk which will lead to abysmal performance.  Look for solutions people have
tried involving variously saxon, stx (joost), momento, and memory tuning.

Geoff