cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: My XSP is entifying my UTF
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 23:11:11 GMT
On 09.03.2004 23:54, Rafael Alvarado wrote:

> Here is my situation.  I run an etext server with documents written in
> several languages.  In creating a search interface for a collection of
> Hebrew documents, for example, I want to pull a distinct list of words from
> a db and create a set of lists for users to search with.  The values have to
> be in unicode, since they will be sent back to the database as a query
> string.  I don't want to have to translate entities back and forth into UTF8
> -- I would rather work in UTF8 and forget entities forever.

It seems we have to go in details for a possible solutions of the
problem. I thought that it is only a question of convenience when
viewing the HTML output source. Are the HTML pages containing the UTF-8
characters shown correctly? If so, it should be possible to get them
back as UTF-8 in Cocoon and store them in the database.

> By the way, I had a similar problem with the HTML generator that uses Jtidy
> -- is this, too, the fault of Xalan?

Hmm, difficult to say from here. What exactly is the problem? As I said
I thought your problem is only about serializing UTF-8 characters, so
maybe รถ is escaped to &#246;, but at the end (i.e. in the browser) they
are the same. But you seem to have something different in mind.

Joerg